Monday, April 23, 2007

Finished... just about!

My word that was hard - for now just the brief version.

For 24 miles I ran and felt good (split time circa 3:33). The heat was getting to me to but I was coasting along. Then, suddenly, my back went, I ran for I don't know how long, 300m maybe, bent double and collapsed. I lay with half my muscles convulsing by the side of the road for 45 minutes while wonderful St John's Ambulance people treated me. After 4o mins I tried to get up - collapse - then after 50 mins I tried again. I just about got to my feet with the help of three people, signed a disclaimer, asked for a push and step by step walked/hobbled the remaining two miles in agony. You should not be able to see your thigh bulging in a pulse. I even tried to run at the death but all but collapsed again.

In short, some advice. If you have chronic stomach problems before the race, just don't run! No that I regret it - oh no it was largely a fantastic experience and I am so happy I finished and raised money for Parikrma (details of amounts to follow), but if you lose those vital sugars, salts and other minerals at some point your body is going to give in. Without record temperatures (23 degrees C) it probably would not have got me before the finish, but my God when it hits it HITS.

No comments: